Friday, January 1, 2010

Rock & Roll


mood: happy
song: rock & roll
local: home

The tinkling of china, crystal, and glass is over. The balloons have popped, the dishes have been washed, and finally the head can hit the pillow.

I laid in my sisters extremely small bed last night, waiting for my very tiny cousin to close her eyes and drift off into an extremely deep sleep, and thought of all the other places I could have been to spend my first New Year's Eve as an adult. The invitations I had recieved were numerous, but all were declined due to the nagging of my conscience and the present state of my family's circumstances.

But the dark room was filled with a warm sense of love and lonliness only known to us that truly understand that selfish "unselfishness", meaning we pretend to be selfless to maintain our good standing in the society in which we live.

Consequently, the night ended uneventfully. No panty shanking, no drunken love stories, no horrendous fiascos that only happen when surrounded by the idiots I call friends, just peace. And a sense of self awareness that I wish I didn't have.

My heart still beats, my eyes still water, and my nose is still incredibly stuffy, but hey, I'm no worse for wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment